Vacation rental: How to book?
It's now time to book a rental property for your next vacation. Be demanding, in being so the owners will continue with their pledge in respect of their efforts in maintaining standards and quality.
Whether you're looking to rent something on the ocean, in the country or in the mountains, it's always going to take time so wise to start searching well in advance to avoid disappointment. All the numerous types of lodgings on offer to you:
Looking to rent a holiday home?
It's the most popular form of renting ; it's a house, a studio or an apartment that in general is available for a duration of less than 3 months.
Looking for a charming holiday rental ?
It's a searched after holiday rental property benefiting from its setting and/or a certain something.
Looking for a luxury holiday rental ?
It's a more up-market holiday rental property because of its location and/or equipped to a high standard hence demanding an more elevated rate.
Looking to rent a gîte?
It's an original way of renting in a rural setting and because of it's surroundings can offer you (horse trecking, life on the farm, castle and garden tours, gastronomy, country cookery courses...) as well as the guest table, a real life and gastronomic discovery!
Looking for a chambre d'hôtes/B&B ?
More commonly known in the english speaking world as a <
1 - Vacation rentals: To guide you
To avoid disappointment, we suggest you follow a few simple rules during your search: understand how to read through the small ads, demand detailed information and, when possible, ask for photos of the rental property.Having taken these preliminary steps you should be certain of a worry free rental experience and a nice holiday.
To understand the small ads preferably the ads should be clear, detailed with photographs.
Inevitably the adverts are written in flattering terms, in order to attract your attention. In a just a few short words, it should describe the rental accommodation in both an attractive and concise way.
Wording... to read like this for example : << Rent villa, 6 people, all modern conveniences, swimming pool, 5 minutes from the beach>>:
- It's necessary to check out the number of bedrooms in the villa <<6 people >>;
> does it comprise of a bathtub, a dishwasher, a washing machine, an oven, a microwave oven...?
- Is the swimming pool private or shared amongst the other villas?
- Is the beach «5 minutes» on foot or by automobile? You have a preference over distance.
The internet offers the means to describe a vacation rental property in a thorough way and to illustrate it with numerous photos.
Don't stop at the description furnished in the advert if you need clarification on some points write or telephone.Thanks to the photos, you have a much clearer accurate picture of the accommodation. If a video accompanies the advert, it will permit you to take << a tour of the property >>. Check out other internaut's testimonials and if you wish contact them.
2 - Obligatory description of the place:
Any persons interested in renting have the right to ask the owner, without commitment on their part, an inventory of the place that should cover a certain number of items:
- The address of the accommodation, it's seal of approval through a recognized association as well as its classification if it exists;
- If it's a single family home, an apartment or a studio : its floor area, the number and type of rooms (bathroom, bedroom, sitting room...);
- A description of furnishings and household appliances : television, dishwasher, oven, washing machine, clothes dryer...;
- The existance or not of a terrace, a swimming pool, a garden, a garage, ...( specifying, if that be the case, are they private or shared).
Should indicate as well the distance from places such as (beach, ski slopes..) and local services (downtown, the stores.) relative to the property location.
The rental terms (the rental period, rates, service charges included or not...) should be confirmed.
The internet facilitates a really fast way to exchange information between the vacationer and the owner.
3 - Approved and classified rental properties
Approved rental properties are recognized in general as offering more of a guarantee in terms of quality.It should be pointed out however that many proprietors who have no classification and have not been quality approved their accommodation is none the less comparible in quality. In addition we must point out that not all the classification organizations are the same, and do not follow the same selection criteria in respect of (levels of comfort,inspection visits...).
4 - Booking conditions for a vacation rental property
There are few if any countries that insist apon a legal agreement between individuals renting privately in this manner, it is however strongly advised to draw up a contract to avoid any possible risks each party to retain a copy.
5 - Rental contract
Even on the internet, the rental contract should be signed by both parties and be as detailed as possible and would prove legally to be without ambiguity in case any dispute should arise. Notably, it is well-advised to set out:
- The identify of all the parties;
- The precise location of the accommadation rented;
- The dates, days and the stipulated arrival and departure times for the lessee;
- The rental sum (specifying whether or not the service charges are includined in the total);
- The maximum permitted occupants;
- Rental property insurance policy;
- Cancellation policy and, if the need arises, the demand for a security deposit. The last mentioned should not be considered the same as any monies advanced as a reservation deposit.
6 - Reservation deposit and cancellation terms.
The amounts and the ways in which reservation deposits can be paid is at the discretion of the lessor.However the reservation deposit is currently running between 25 to 33% of the rental sum and is not demanded more than six months prior to the rental starting date.
Check with the lessor as to his/her cancellation policy and the return of reservation deposits paid in advance.